Centennial High Alumni Network

Apaches For Life!!

Let's Celebrate How Far We Have Come This Month Of February During "Black History Month"

Posted by Phoebe Macon on February 1, 2011, 3:50 am

Black History Month is a remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. Since 1976, it is celebrated annually in the United States of America and Canada in February and the United Kingdom in the month of October. In the U.S., Black History Month is also referred to as African-American History Month.

Black History Month actually started as Negro History Week in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson. The goal of Black History Week was to educate Blacks about their cultural background, and instill in them a sense of pride in their race.

Carter Godwin Woodson

Carter G. Woodson

Born December 19, 1875(1875-12-19)
New Canton, Virginia

Died April 3, 1950(1950-04-03) (aged 74)
Washington, DC

Education B.Litt, Berea College (1903)

M.A., University of Chicago (1908)

Ph.D., Harvard University (1912)

Occupation Historian

Known for Founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, Established Negro History Week.

Now called Association for the Study of African American Life and History.

(Please Feel free To share any Black History articles with us throughout this Month of February. THANKS!!)

Views: 253

Replies to This Discussion

MAY "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

JUNE "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

JULY "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

AUGUST "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

SEPTEMBER "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

OCTOBER "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

NOVEMBER "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

DECEMBER "BLACK HISTORY" NOTES!!

THANK YOU PHOEBE FOR GIVING US TWELVE MONTHS OF BLACK HISTORY INFORMATION. I WILL ENJOY READING EACH OF YOUR POSTS!
-Love Ed

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

PEARL BAILEY

SINGER, ACTRESS AND BEST-SELLING AUTHOR

NAT "KING" COLE

SINGER

ROY CAMPANELLA SR.

ATHLETE AND BUSINESSMAN

BILLIE HOLIDAY

SINGER

FLORENCE MILLS

SINGER AND DANCER

ETHEL WATERS

SINGER AND ACTRESS

SOME BLACK HISTORY MONTH FACTS 2012

Updated: Jan 31, 2012 1:38 PM PST
Source: U.S. Census Bureau

To commemorate and celebrate the contributions to our nation made by people of African descent, American historian Carter G. Woodson established Black History Week. The first celebration occurred on Feb. 12, 1926. For many years, the second week of February was set aside for this celebration to coincide with the birthdays of abolitionist/editor Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. In 1976, as part of the nation's bicentennial, the week was expanded into Black History Month. Each year, U.S. presidents proclaim February as National African-American History Month.

----------------------
POPULATION

42 million

The number of people who identified as black, either alone or in combination with one or more other races, in the 2010 Census. They made up 13.6 percent of the total U.S. population. The black population grew by 15.4 percent from 2000 to 2010.
Source: The Black Population: 2010

----------------------

65.7 million

The projected black population of the United States (including those of more than one race) for July 1, 2050. On that date, according to the projection, blacks would constitute 15 percent of the nation's total population.
Source: Population projections

--------------------

3.3 million

The black population in New York, which led all states in 2010. The other nine states in the top 10 were Florida, Texas, Georgia, California, North Carolina, Illinois, Maryland, Virginia and Ohio.
Source: The Black Population

--------------------

38%

Percent of Mississippi's total population that was black in 2010. Mississippi led the nation in this category followed by Louisiana (33 percent), Georgia (32 percent), Maryland (31 percent), South Carolina (29 percent) and Alabama (27 percent).

-----------------------

52%

Percent of the total population in the District of Columbia that was black in 2010.

----------------------

2.2 million

People who identified as black in New York City, which led all places with populations of 100,000 or more. It was followed by Chicago; Philadelphia; Detroit; Houston; Memphis, Tenn.; Baltimore; Los Angeles; Washington; and Dallas.

---------------------

84.3%

Percent of the total population in Detroit, who identified as black, which is the highest percentage nationally among places with populations of 100,000 or more. It was followed by Jackson, Miss. (80.1 percent), Miami Gardens, Fla. (77.9 percent), Birmingham, Ala. (74.0 percent), Baltimore, (65.1 percent), Memphis, Tenn. (64.1 percent), New Orleans (61.2 percent), Flint, Mich. (59.5), Montgomery Ala. (57.4 percent) and Savannah, Ga. (56.7 percent).

--------------------

SERVING OUR NATION

2.4 million

Number of black military veterans in the United States in 2010.
Source: 2010 American Community Survey

--------------------

EDUCATION

82%

Among blacks 25 and older, the percentage with a high school diploma or higher in 2010.

---------------------

18%

Percentage of blacks 25 and older who had a bachelor's degree or higher in 2010.

-----------------------

1.5 million

Among blacks 25 and older, the number who had an advanced degree in 2010.

----------------------

2.9 million

Number of blacks enrolled in college in 2010, a 1.7 million increase since 1990.
Source: 2010 Current Population Survey

-----------------------

VOTING

11.1 million

The number of blacks who voted in the 2010 congressional election, an increase from 11 percent of the total electorate in 2006 to 12 percent in 2010.
Source: Voting and Registration in the Election of 2010

----------------------

55%

Turnout rate in the 2008 presidential election for the 18- to 24-year-old citizen black population, an 8 percentage point increase from 2004. Blacks had the highest turnout rate in this age group.
Source: Voting and Registration in the Election of 2008

--------------------

65%

Turnout rate among black citizens regardless of age in the 2008 presidential election, up about 5 percentage points from 2004. Looking at voter turnout by race and Hispanic origin, non-Hispanic whites and blacks had the highest turnout levels.
Source: Voting and Registration in the Election of 2008

--------------------

INCOME, POVERTY and HEALTH INSURANCE

$32,068

The annual median income of black households in 2010, a decline of 3.2 percent from 2009.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau 2010 Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States

--------------------

27.4%

Poverty rate in 2010 for blacks.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010

---------------------

79.2%

Percentage of blacks that were covered by health insurance during all or part of 2010.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau 2010 Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States

----------------------

FAMILIES AND CHILDREN

62.5%

Among households with a black householder, the percentage that contained a family. There were 9.4 million black family households.
Source: 2011 Current Population Survey, Families and Living Arrangements, Table F1 and Table HH-2

---------------------

44.4%

Among families with black householders, the percentage that were married couples. Source: 2011 Families and Living Arrangements, Table F1

---------------------

1.3 million

Number of black grandparents who lived with their own grandchildren younger than 18. Of this number, 47.6 percent were also responsible for their care.

--------------------

HOMEOWNERSHIP

44.2%

Nationally, the percentage of households with a householder who was black who lived in owner-occupied homes.

-----------------------

JOBS

28.4%

The percentage of blacks 16 and older who worked in management, business, science and arts occupations.

--------------------

BUSINESSES

$135.7 billion

Receipts for black-owned businesses in 2007, up 53.1 percent from 2002. The number of black-owned businesses totaled 1.9 million in 2007, up 60.5 percent.
Source: 2007 Survey of Business Owners

--------------------

37.7%

Percentage of black-owned businesses in 2007 in health care and social assistance, repair and maintenance and personal and laundry services.

---------------------

10.6%

Percentage of businesses in New York in 2007 that were black-owned, which led all states or state-equivalents. Georgia and Florida followed, at 9.6 percent and 9.4 percent, respectively.

----------------------

NOTE: The reference to the black population in this publication is to single-race blacks ("black alone") except in the first section on "Population." There the reference is to black alone or in combination with other races; in other words, a reference to respondents who said they were one race (black) or more than one race (black plus other races).

ca. 1860's, USA. Freed slaves in Southern town shortly after the Civil War. © Bettmann/CORBIS

LETTER FROM FREED SLAVE TO FORMER MASTER DRAWS ATTENTION

A newly discovered letter from a freed former slave to his onetime master is creating a buzz. Letters of Note explains that in August of 1865, a Colonel P.H. Anderson of Big Spring, Tennessee wrote to his former slave Jourdan Anderson, requesting that Jourdan return to work on his farm.
In the time since escaping from slavery, Anderson had become emancipated, moved to Ohio where he found paid work and was now supporting his family. The letter turned up in the August 22 edition of the New York Daily Tribune. Some excerpts:

Sir: I got your letter, and was glad to find that you had not forgotten Jourdon, and that you wanted me to come back and live with you again, promising to do better for me than anybody else can. I have often felt uneasy about you. I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this, for harboring Rebs they found at your house. I suppose they never heard about your going to Colonel Martin's to kill the Union soldier that was left by his company in their stable. Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living. It would do me good to go back to the dear old home again, and see Miss Mary and Miss Martha and Allen, Esther, Green, and Lee. Give my love to them all, and tell them I hope we will meet in the better world, if not in this. I would have gone back to see you all when I was working in the Nashville Hospital, but one of the neighbors told me that Henry intended to shoot me if he ever got a chance.

On the "good chance" offered by the former slave owner:

I want to know particularly what the good chance is you propose to give me. I am doing tolerably well here. I get twenty-five dollars a month, with victuals and clothing; have a comfortable home for Mandy,—the folks call her Mrs. Anderson,—and the children—Milly, Jane, and Grundy—go to school and are learning well. The teacher says Grundy has a head for a preacher. They go to Sunday school, and Mandy and me attend church regularly. We are kindly treated. Sometimes we overhear others saying, "Them colored people were slaves" down in Tennessee. The children feel hurt when they hear such remarks; but I tell them it was no disgrace in Tennessee to belong to Colonel Anderson. Many darkeys would have been proud, as I used to be, to call you master. Now if you will write and say what wages you will give me, I will be better able to decide whether it would be to my advantage to move back again.

And then Jourdan explains that anything his former master could offer, he's already earned on his own. Other than some back wages:

As to my freedom, which you say I can have, there is nothing to be gained on that score, as I got my free papers in 1864 from the Provost-Marshal-General of the Department of Nashville. Mandy says she would be afraid to go back without some proof that you were disposed to treat us justly and kindly; and we have concluded to test your sincerity by asking you to send us our wages for the time we served you. This will make us forget and forgive old scores, and rely on your justice and friendship in the future. I served you faithfully for thirty-two years, and Mandy twenty years. At twenty-five dollars a month for me, and two dollars a week for Mandy, our earnings would amount to eleven thousand six hundred and eighty dollars. Add to this the interest for the time our wages have been kept back, and deduct what you paid for our clothing, and three doctor's visits to me, and pulling a tooth for Mandy, and the balance will show what we are in justice entitled to. Please send the money by Adams's Express, in care of V. Winters, Esq., Dayton, Ohio. If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past, we can have little faith in your promises in the future. We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense. Here I draw my wages every Saturday night; but in Tennessee there was never any pay-day for the negroes any more than for the horses and cows. Surely there will be a day of reckoning for those who defraud the laborer of his hire.

And after a few more jabs about how his children are now happy and receiving an education, Jourdan concludes his letter with:

Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me.

RSS

Join The Centennial High Alumni Network Group On Facebook:

Centennial High Alumni Network on Twitter

Centennial High Alumni Network Disclaimer

Centennial High Alumni Network is in no way affiliated with, licensed by, or owned by Centennial High School (Compton, CA) or Compton City Schools. Centennial High Alumni Network is privately operated and does not make any representations, warrants or promises on behalf of Centennial High School (Compton, CA) or Compton City Schools for any services or materials, nor is Centennial High Alumni Network an agent working for or on behalf of Centennial High School (Compton, CA) or Compton City Schools. Centennial High Alumni Network is a social networking website for former students of Centennial High School, Compton, CA and as such is not affiliated with any current Centennial High School (Compton, CA) students, teachers, staff or other employees thereof. For specific questions about Centennial High School please visit www.cehs-compton-ca.schoolloop.com
Thanks and enjoy OUR new home.

Apache Alumni Events

Apache Alumni Videos

• Add Apache Alumni Videos

Apache Alumni Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Wayne Ware c/o '75 (WebMaster).   Powered by

Apache Alumni Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service